Teen Counseling in Chiang Mai
Options Available for Teen Counseling in Chiang Mai
In addition to our family therapy we also offer teen counseling in Chiang Mai and online. Adolescence and teenage years are a period of development consisting of rapid growth from childhood into adulthood. This period can be particularly confusing and challenging for several teens. Teens start to experience emotional, physical and mental changes which can be overwhelming for them at times.
These changes can even cause them to distance themselves from their parents. They often believe their teachers, parents or any elders simply wouldn’t understand what they are going through. In some cases, it becomes essential for the adolescents to reach out for help during these times so that they are not overwhelmed or alone in navigating their way through this period. We aim for our Teen Counseling services in Chiang Mai, to help clients gain awareness of themselves and resolve conflict in a healthy manner while also maintaining a positive approach.
Teen Counseling in Chiang Mai Common Issues Faced by Teenagers
- Depression and Anxiety: Depression and anxiety are the most common mental health issues found amongst today’s teens in Chiang Mai. We live amidst stressful times, where everyone is trying to keep up with high expectations of society whether that be in academics or physical appearance. There is constant pressure to always be perfect and do well in life. The rise of social media has also led to unrealistic beauty standards in today’s generation. Since teens may not be mentally or emotionally developed enough to withstand these pressures, they may easily fall prey to anxiety or depression when these unrealistic standards are not met.
- Bullying: Bullying is said to take place when an individual assumes power over another and tries to dominate others by using deliberate and hurtful words or actions. It may be physical, psychological or verbal. Statistics have proved that bullying tends to leave a deep and profound impact on the victims, and they are often left feeling high levels of anxiousness, helplessness, depression and sometimes even suicidal.
- Peer Pressure: Peer pressure can be spoken or unspoken. Oftentimes, it may be the latter which teenagers fall for. Since social acceptance and belonging is their main goal, some teens may go to extreme lengths just to fit in. The effects can trickle into their academic performance, relationships at home, and most importantly their future decisions.
- Sexual Activity: Sexuality is a normal part of adolescence however, adolescent sexuality has changed drastically over the past few years, with adolescents now maturing physically way sooner than before. Parental and societal concerns regarding this level of premature sexual activity include early pregnancy, sexually transmitted disease (STD’S) and more.
- Alcohol and Drug Use: Many teens may try drugs or alcohol to fit in with their friends, try to act more grown-up or because they want to see how it makes them feel. Teens often like taking risks and trying new things, hence they may think taking drugs or alcohol is cool and exciting. Alcohol and drug use can cause serious consequences for these teens, some of which include poor academic performance, problems with friends and family, violence and lasting legal problems. Alcohol and drug use are also the leading cause of teen death and injuries which are related to either suicides, violence, drowning or car crashes. It can also cause an increase in rates of pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.
Is it Just Normal Teen Behaviour or Something deeper?
It can be hard to come to terms with the fact that your teen may require help. However, it is important to remember there are certain issues that you may not be able to solve as a parent and there is nothing wrong with reaching out to trained professionals for that extra support and guidance. The longer you wait to reach out, the worse the problems may become.
It can also be hard to tell if your teen is going through something serious or if their actions simply constitute normal teenage behaviour. Start by asking yourself these questions:
If you have happened to notice changes or simply have concerns, reach out to our trained counselors for a professional opinion. Our counselors in Chiang Mai, will either be able to provide you with peace of mind by letting you know everything is okay, or they would be able to provide guidance about how to help your teen.
Troubled Teens – Some Signs to Look out for
There are some signs to look out for when it comes to troubled teen behaviours. These can be clear signs that your teen requires to reach out to someone. Waiting to see if these problems subside may be a bad idea as they could likely get worse without the right intervention.
Some of these signs include:
My Teen Doesn’t Want to Go for Therapy. What should I do?
Most of the time, teenagers may feel like their personal space is being invaded or simply might not want to communicate with a stranger and as a result, may not be comfortable with the idea of seeing a counselor. Other times they may feel ashamed about the fact that they have to see a counselor and may even get tormented or bullied for doing so. In situations like this, you need to calmly communicate with your child and make them understand your concerns and reasoning in doing so. Assure them that the reason you are suggesting counseling is not that there’s anything wrong with them but rather because you want them to gain and develop healthier coping skills, so they are able to be the best versions of themselves for their future.
Why Choose Teen Counseling Chiang Mai?
Oftentimes, the fear of being misunderstood and judged is what may prevent teens and adolescents from opening up about their feelings. Our teen counseling services in Chiang Mai, aim to act as a safe and non-judgmental space where we encourage our clients to talk openly and transparently about the issues they may be facing.
Our experienced and qualified counselors help our clients make sense of their emotions and feelings, across various situations and guide them to make empowered choices. Trying to understand adolescents can be extremely challenging and stressful. We understand that this is a confusing and chaotic time in the lives of teens, and it is at this time they are desperately trying to make sense of many different factors.
Our English and Thai speaking counselors in Chiang Mai, also have prior experience in working with adolescents and teens and are empathetic listeners, there to help you better understand yourself and develop healthier coping strategies to overcome existing problems or those which may arise. Our main aim is to build a safe space for our clients in which they are able to feel valued and speak openly and honestly.
How to Access Teen Counseling Chiang Mai?
While our aim is to resolve all the conflicts within our client’s life through teen counseling, there will be unforeseen problems that may arise later, what is important is how they approach these situations. After attending our teen counseling sessions, they will develop a far superior understanding of themselves and healthier coping mechanisms. This will act as a safeguard, should future problems arise. Do not delay in getting access to the help your child requires. Reach out to us today via our online enquiry form to learn more.